Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Justice Society of America #48

This book has been a very pleasant surprise. I'm happy I didn't drop it like I had originally planned. I stuck around for the Scott Kolins art, but I'm now hooked by Marc Guggenheim's story.

This is very much a middle chapter as the bad guys seem to be out-maneuvering the JSA at every turn. Half the team is taken out, with Alan Scott paralyzed, Lightning "dead," Mr. Terrific not so terrific, and Dr. Fate too busy to help. Jay Garrick, Doc Mid-Nite, Wildcat, and Mr. America certainly seem over-matched by Dr. Chaos and Scythe. (Although it is great seeing just how powerful the original Flash is, isn't it?)

I wonder if the timely arrival of that bunch of heroes has anything to do with JSA All-Stars getting cancelled? The influx of that book's cast will make this feel like a society again. It did look to me like there are a few new characters coming to help too. A Red Beetle?

Scott Kolins is so darn good, this book looks terrific. I'm still not blown away by Scythe's design, but I love Chaos' design and the secret villain sure looked great in his big reveal.

Good

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not sure if you noticed in that last spread, Kolins drew Jesse Quick AND Liberty Belle. Just found that kinda odd, but ya, I'm definitely enjoying JSA too.

Timbotron said...

Huh, I need to go back and look!