Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Brightest Day #21


Well, I'm a sucker for Martian Manhunter, so I loved this issue. Look, I realize that Brightest Day is nothing more than a random collection of a bunch of characters all doing their own thing, barely relating to each other. This was Martian Manhunter Rebirth, the Hawks Rebirth, and Aquaman Rebirth with shared numbering (I won't include Firestorm because he hasn't done enough). I don't have any strong feelings about the White Lantern or the entity powering it. I don't believe for one second that the Hawks, Aquaman, or J'onn are dead.

But I love Martian Manhunter. I never loved D'Kay, she seems like another bad influence lady for J'onn (who actually has a surprising number of femme fatales in his catalogue, including Bette Noir, Scorch, and now D'Kay). So while I didn't care for the ease of his defeat over D'Kay, or the wasted "fantasy" issue, I loved seeing J'onn get his "Life Returned." I loved seeing him make a clear choice to defend Earth. I loved seeing him die with honor and grace, no doubt because he knows this is part of the plan. So basically, I don't really care about the Brightest Day uber-plot, but I love Martian Manhunter.

The art is snappy, especially the big moments. J'onn and D'Kay melting in the sun, J'onn reborn in his white togs, and the great shot of him choosing Earth. Any chance Tomasi and Gleason can do an ongoing Martian Manhunter book after this?

Good (pulled up from Fair by featuring J'onn!)

No comments: