Monday, March 21, 2011

House of M: Civil War TPB


I really enjoy Christos Gage's work, but I don't like the House of M world enough to want to read more of it. I picked this up for very cheap, and as I read it, all I could think was that I'd love to see this creative team handle a flashback mutant book.

Gage gives us the classic alternate universe elements; everyone is just a shade off from how we know them in the "real" Marvel U. I'd argue that the Scarlet Witch is almost a villain here, she seems totally aware that she's created this false world to fool everyone she knows. She's a lot easier to forgive if she's just crazy; here she proves she's aware when she un-makes Nuke for not fitting in. (Yet she allows all these other people to die and get hurt. Mimic sure wasted his new life. So did the Winter Soldier. And probably Apocalypse. Yet she only unmakes Nuke?)

So while I have problems with the House of M aspects, I really enjoy seeing Magneto build the Brotherhood of Mutants. Magneto really carries himself like a hero, and even when he's forced to do bad things, you can see why he did it. Magneto is a compelling character, and setting him so close to his children only makes him more fascinating.

So yeah, how about a Gage DeVito Brotherhood of Mutants book starring Magneto, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Toad, Mastermind, Blob, and Unus or something?

Andrea DeVito's pencils are always sharp and detailed. I've always liked the way his stuff looks like John Byrne's old work. Why is this guy doing alternate world spin-offs?

Fair

No comments: