Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Green Lantern #64


I should have learned my lesson by now! After last month's snooze-fest in GL 63, I was considering dropping the Lantern titles. I just couldn't make myself care about what was going on, and to be honest, I had no idea what War of the Green Lanterns was even about. I'm glad I powered through, because once again Geoff Johns was saving up for the big-time arc. It seems the War of the Green Lanterns is the fallout from Krona releasing the emotion entities (referred to here as parasites... hmm). While most of them end up in the bodies of different Guardians, Parallax the yellow space bug is more than happy to resume residence in the GL power battery.

This is awesome for a few reasons. First, it means that the rings don't work against yellow any more; order is restored in the universe. Second, it lets Parallax dominate the wills of a ton of GLs, setting up our little war. Well played, Geoff! This book delivered in the smaller moments too. I liked seeing the Story Vampire (although she was quite like something out of the Unwritten, huh?).

The coolest moment for me was seeing Stel and a few other GLs immediately stand down to give Hal Jordan a chance to explain. Of course some of the corps would back up their most famous member.

And Doug Mahnke comes back to save the day on art. Look at those possessed Guardians! Look at the wonderfully diverse GLs! This comic just bounced back.

Good

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I just read the first three parts of this story (ending with Emerald Warriors), and this is one intriguing story! At first I rolled my eyes at the whole War storyline, but now I'm kind of a fan of this sleeper story.