Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Green Lantern Corps #48

Tony Bedard starts with a solid, if unspectacular, first issue. I have to say I'm not that interested in Ganthet as a GL (or really as a character) so I'm worried at the page count he gets here. I guess I have a hard time identifying with a little blue immortal with a ponytail. The rest of the issue is pretty good, I like the idea of Kyle Rayner and John Stewart sharing the spotlight, and if GL Robot/Stel gets some spotlight, I certainly won't complain. I'm happy that Bedard's first arc deals with the Alpha Lanterns too, they are too darn spooky to leave on the shelf.
There are a few nice character beats in this, especially John Stewart's interest in rebuilding Oa in original Guardian architecture styles. I'm worried about Kyle, it will be easy to pair up he and Soranik in all their stories, which I think would lessen them both.

I have faith that Bedard can fill out a core group, I just hope he juggles the cast as well as Peter Tomasi did. I'm sticking around more for potential than anything else at this point.

Ardian Syaf has a solid DCU house style. Nothing blew me away or anything, but the storytelling was clear enough. I'm curious to see if he comes up with constructs anywhere near as fascinating at Patrick Gleason. It's tough following a top-notch creative team.

Fair

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Hey, I'm giving the bold new era a try.

On this showing, it's not for me - once again the story is centred on GL mythology and internal politics. Is there nothing going on that demands GL attention that's unconnected with Oa?

And as for the Alpha Lanterns, I find them dull rather than creepy!

I did like the architecture bit though, a nice nod to John's old character, that.

Timbotron said...

Yeah, I'm underwhelmed too. I'll give it an issue or two to win me over.