Monday, May 31, 2010

Power Girl #12

What a satisfying conclusion to a great run. I think I can safely say that this is my favorite work by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, these 12 issues were plain fun from start to finish. This is essentially a Greatest Hits recap of the amusing events that filled the last 12 issues. Best of all, Vartox shows up (although I can't help but think of him as Zardoz) for a quick second attempt at wooing Power Girl. I'm amazed at how well Palmiotti and Gray play up the obvious sexiness of the lead character with amusing plots. She's aware of what she does to guys, but she doesn't let it define her. There is also an extended sequence in Terra's underground world, and to be honest, this section interested me the least just because I'm not sure too many other writers will use any of these ideas again. I do think that Power Girl's cat will hold on to that name though, it does fit.

Even better, the writers (and artist Amanda Connor) have created the ideal personality for Power Girl. I always like her look and power set, but this series gave her a fun personality and outlook that is actually rare in comics. She because so "normal" that this take on the character is how I'll define her from now on. When folks come in with another take, I don't think I'll be able to help but to be disappointed.

Amanda Connor did a wonderful job on this series. I wish she could stick to a monthly schedule, her mix of action and humor is so rare, I can't think of anyone who does it better. That sequence with Stinky wandering around PG's apartment was an instant classic, it was great seeing a hero deal with realistic cat-issues. I particularly loved the bug face-off, that is serious cat-business!

This will be my last issue of Power Girl, but these 12 issues will hold up nicely in my longboxes.

Good

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

I'm with you all the way, this has been a wonderful year for Power Girl and her fans.

I'm not optimistic about what's coming, with all the JLA: Generation Lost tie-ins ... two appearances in two issues and in both she's been a proper cow. I suspect I'll be jumping off this book pretty quickly.