Thursday, May 27, 2010

Green Lantern #54

I don't think anyone is surprised to hear that Doug Mahnke draws the hell out Lobo. I know we only got one page, but this bodes well for next issue...

This issue ties in to Brightest Day #2, so there are a few pages spent with Hal, Carol, and Sinestro trying to lift the white lantern. There are also some great sequences with Atrocitus and Dex-Starr as they roast and eat some criminal scum. I never thought I'd say this, but I think Atrocitus is actually growing on me. Having him making constructs really helps, but I'm also really hoping that Atrocitus has a bit of a crush on Mera, that could get mighty awkward.

I've never been a huge Hal Jordan fan, but now that he's the straight arrow in a crowd of ring-slinging heroes, he works really well! Now that this is a team book, it really plays to Geoff Johns' strengths. Blackest Night was clearly a high point, but I am pleasantly surprised at how good the book has been since.

Doug Mahnke is a genius. His art is just breathtaking.

Good

No comments: