Thursday, May 20, 2010

Brightest Day #2

I'm really happy that Brightest Day has come to the DCU and we can all bask in the "fun" era of comics again. For those of you who didn't know, the fun era consists of suburban housewives murdering their husbands, children, then tearing their faces off. I just wanted to make sure you knew.

It seems the core cast of this book will be a smaller subset of the 12 returnees from Blackest Night. It is certainly looking like Deadman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Aquaman, Hawkman, and Hawkwoman are the stars (along with Mera and possibly the Atom). I'm fine with that, and even though the Manhunter's origin is getting tweaked yet again, I'm happy enough with his story. I especially enjoy seeing J'onn when he exhibits his affection for humans, he was so kind to the elderly daughter of Dr. Erdel, it was a touching scene.

Firestorm's interaction is getting weirder and weirder. Now there is a third, angry voice yelling at Ronnie Raymond that Jason Rusch can't hear. I have a feeling Atom will be meeting up with something disturbing in the Firestorm matrix soon. I'm always interested in the Hawks finding time to smash heads, so I have no complaints about their story. Aquaman and Mera just make me sad, someone wearing an orange shirt shouldn't be surrounded by so much sadness. Deadman certainly seems to be in a rough spot, I don't really think of him as able to take on that big-time a foe.

I just don't understand why everything has to be so gory! It's hard to revel in these exciting stories when you just saw a kid beaten to death with a Rock Band guitar.
The art is solid once again, DC is bringing their A-game artistically.

Fair

No comments: