Saturday, May 1, 2010

Transformers: Maximum Dinobots TPB


This ended up being better than I expected, although my expectations were mighty low. I've never been a big fan of the Dinobots. I actually liked Grimlock best in the old Marvel series when he was kind of a bad guy dealing with Blaster and Goldbug. So having him be the lead is a bit of a hard sell for me. Luckily, Hot Rod and Sunstreaker have pretty big parts so I had a few Autobot cars to root for too. This series also brings back Shockwave, Soundwave, Ravage, and Laserbeak, so overall, it ends up being pretty important to a lot of popular robots. (There are some little monster Autobots too, but I'm not too familiar with them. I liked the idea that they were outcasts from the main Autobot factions though.)

Grimlock ends up facing off against Scorponok (currently a Headmaster) and Shockwave. Those two rank pretty high up in the power departments, so five Dinobots vs. 1 leader Decepticon ends up being a pretty fair fight. I never bought into the Scorponok/Grimlock animosity, it seemed like Simon Furman did a better job building up some of the other rivalries. Hot Rod/Scorponok was good and I liked seeing the Shockwave/Dino rematch too. Overall, the purpose of this series seems to have been to get Sunstreaker back to normal and remove the Headmaster element from Earth's anti-robot force. The story needed to be told, but I do wish some more of the first Autobots IDW featured could have played a part (like Ratchet or Bumblebee).

Nick Roche has a good take on the robot forms of the Transformers and the cars look awesome. The dinosaur forms were a bit too industrial for me. Things like Slag's flame exhaust took away from the whole dinosaur look a bit too much for my tastes.

Fair

No comments: