Monday, June 21, 2010

Comics on the Bubble: War Machine (1994)

War Machine (1994) - I think this is going on an issue-by-issue basis. Len Kaminski and Scott Benson don't write anything that sets the world on fire, but they've got some solid stuff in their run.


The art is by Gabriel Hardman going by Gabriel Gecko. He's clearly channeling Dave Ross at this point, and the fit isn't quite natural. Some panels and characters look fantastic, while others are a bit out of proportion. His stuff is worlds better these days on Agents of Atlas.


        • Issue 2: Cable and Deathlok guest-star in this average issue. War Machine shoots up a ton of non-descript African soldiers, this is pretty boring. SELL

        • Issue 3: Deathlok sticks around to kill some more generic soldiers. Can't make myself care. The art is kind of ugly too. SELL

        • Issue 5: I'm a tad more interested now, Rhodey is struggling with killing all these folks. I like the Death Toll hitman's powers too, just regenerating lives. But since I'm missing part 2, I'm going to SELL

        • Issue 7: The villain may be generic, but Hawkeye shows up to have a nice chat with Rhodey. KEEP

        • Issue 8: I don't think I've ever read an Iron Man/War Machine fight I didn't like. KEEP

        • Issue 9&10: This is a crossover with Abnett & Lanning's Force Works. KEEP

        • Issue 11-14: Dan Abnett takes over as writer. I like this little story with WM fighting the thrill-seeking Rush Club. KEEP

        • Issue 15-16: Boring time travel story in WWII. Nick Fury looked AWFUL in the 90's. he's got a flowing head of hair and a gigantic face eye-cover. UGH. SELL

        • Issue 21: Ugh. The Crossing is absolutely awful. Black Widow, Hawkeye, and US Agent all look just terrible here. SELL

        • Issue 22: Now we have gigantic, bejeweled (and evil) Iron Man showing up. I want to forget this ever happened. SELL

        • Issue 23-24: I have no interest in the Warwear suit Rhodey wore at this time, so villains relating to that alien tech do nothing for me. SELL
        Summary:
        KEEP: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
        SELL: 2, 3, 5, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 24

        No comments: