Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wonder Woman #600

Sigh. They always say you don't know what you've got till it's gone, but that's not exactly true here. I've appreciated Gail Simone's run on Wonder Woman through some excellent TPBs, but it still bums me out to read this issue. Simone only has a few pages (working with the still awesome George Perez) but she proves once again that she has Wonder Woman's voice down like no other. Factor in how well all the ladies of the DCU work together (and under Diana), man, is it too much to hope for a new team book featuring some of these folks? It took a long time for the "right" Wonder Woman writer to come along for me, so I'm going to enjoy the heck out of my trades of Simone's run. (Plus I think I have a couple left that haven't come out yet.)

Excellent

Louise Simonson has a fairly generic story that nontheless gets to highlight the great relationship WW and Supes share. It's fine, but it is kind of overshadowed in this giant comic.

Average

Amanda Conner's team-up with Power Girl is just plain amusing. Nothing like seeking out the strongest woman on Earth for some insight on cat behavior!

Good

Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins sure look like they're gearing up for a new Wonder Woman Secret Origin limited series, don't they? I'd be interested in that.

Fair

Then we get to JMS' reboot of Wonder Woman. I'm not positive this is a "real" reboot. Is any of this going to stick? Or are we in an alternate universe or something. Right now this sure feels like JMS starting over with the character. WW is around 20 years old, has never heard of the Amazons, and has been raised "in an urban environment" if the news articles are to be believed. How did DC let this go through? You can't just reboot one of the most important characters in the business. WW's origin and appearances affect too much else in the DCU. How in the world can this get explained away, if it is a reboot? I've got to think this is just a story arc that will end, things will go back to normal and Diana will keep her new uniform as a memento from JMS' first story. At least, that's the only way this story will work for me. At all. Either way, I'm waiting for the trade at best, I don't like this new urban, espionage-y take on the character.

Looks like I'll just keep an eye out for those last Simone trades.

Average

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

I'm thinking sideways universe. Maybe this is the same one where Diana became a headmistress!