Friday, August 10, 2012

X-Men Legacy #271

Yeah. I’ve given it a lot of thought, and I’m pretty sure that’s the bustiest I’ve ever seen Rogue. Yowza!

Well now, this is pretty far gone from the Avengers vs. X-Men crossover. I can appreciate it as a character piece, but I can’t imagine we are ever going to see anything about this alien world ever again. Christos Gage is in a weird position here; he’s got to keep going with a narrative set up in a crossover that he’s not allowed to finish. It makes sense he’d use this chance to spend time with Rogue, the series lead, but man, this is odd.

I love Rogue, but I’m not sure this is the type of story she works best in. It’s a neat twist that she opens the issue with Ms. Marvel’s power set (was I the only one hoping the powers would be permanent?), but by the close, her powers are gone. It’s a neat set up, but man, this whole issue is world-building for a place I’m confident we will never see again. Even bouncing Rogue to an alien planet or the Savage Land would make a bit more sense than some weird fantasy planet. This just feels like a diversion at a time when big stuff is happening in other books.

Rafa Sandoval has a neat take on Rogue’s skunk stripe. Maybe I just didn’t notice, and more artists are doing it, but Sandoval draws the whole front third of Rogue’s hair as white. She’s also got a pretty kicking new hairstyle that shows it off nicely. I did have a hard time discerning between her hair and her scarf, though, it seems like they were interchangeably dangling between panels.

Fair

No comments: