Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Justice League of America #42


I've been trying to figure out why I enjoyed this issue so much more than James Robinson's first few on this title. I think it boils down to two things: smiling heroes and a sense of the unknown.

Other than a few gloomy pages featuring Green Arrow, most of the heroes in this thing seem to be enjoying themselves. Even though their (confusing) thought boxes make everyone seem sadder, the art has all the heroes taking some satisfaction in taking out Superman villain-Atlas.

The other thing I'm really digging is that I don't know where all this is going. I know the New Gods pretty well at this point, well enough to recognize alternate versions of Orion, Barda, and the rest this issue, but I have no idea who any of these other villains are besides Dr. Impossible. I've never seen these particular heroes work together. I've never seen Hal Jordan taking orders from Night-Bats. I love how Black Canary is still hanging around, awkward situation and all (she led the now-defunct version of the team during Blackest Night.)

And best of all, Josiah Power of Power Company gets to make a cameo, tying this in nicely to the DCU, but also, Power survives his appearance. So maybe Robinson isn't quite as quick to kill those little bits of DC trivia as he used to.

Mark Bagley keeps things nice and bright. I love how this wide variety of characters retain their own looks but everyone is raised to an iconic look, as befits the JLA.

Good

No comments: