Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Villains for Hire #0.1


After the entertaining Heroes for Hire v1 TPB, I decided I couldn't wait for the new Villains for Hire relaunch. Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have proven to be some of the most consistent writers I follow, so this was a no-brainer for me to pick up, especially when I saw that $2.99 price tag.

Folks looking for the actual start of the villain-themed series might be in for a surprise, as DnA spend most of the issue showing readers how this whole "for hire" thing works. We see Misty Knight dispatch Silver Sable (and her butt), Black Panther, Paladin, and Daimon Hellstrom out on a mission.

In addition to the heroes, DnA include a few more references to the established Marvel U in a great new Stilt-Man and one of my faves from the Mark Gruenwald era of Captain America. Factor in some nice use of the Mole Man's moloids and this book feels like a modern twist on some classic Marvel ideas. My kind of book.

I do wish we could have seen a bit more of the new set up, including more of those villains shown on the cover. I want some Speed Demon action!

I mention Sable's butt because artist Renato Arlem seems to take much joy in showing her flying around with some might tight pants on. His storytelling is actually pretty strong, the Stilt-Man fights are great, and he actually makes it seem like that silly idea could have some legs.

Good

No comments: