Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Avenging Spider-Man #1


Can I just call this book Marvel Team-Up? Thanks!

So, I know this is a $3.99 title, but man, I have a hard time saying “no” to a team-up book. And I couldn’t this time either. I’ll weigh in on the digital thing too; I HATE the $3.99 price point, but a digital copy for that extra buck? That’s real value and it convinced me to pick this up.

Zeb Wells has always had a nice voice for Spidey, and that shows up again here. Spidey is a hard-luck loser who is lucky to be on the Avengers, even if none of them really want to hang out with him or give him a ride home. (How many heroes have that problem?)

What impressed me even more was Wells’ dialogue for J. Jonah Jameson. JJJ is fantastic in this book. He’s making hilarious comments in every mad situation he finds himself in. He almost copes as well as Spidey!

There isn’t a ton of development or dialogue with the Red Hulk, but visually, he pops nicely. Joe Mad’s art has a nice element of nostalgia for me, so seeing Spidey and Rulk running around is pretty exciting. There are a heck of a lot of splashes in this, but with 22 pages, there is still enough dialogue to make the book take a few minutes to read.

So yeah. I love Marvel Team-Up/Avenging Spider-Man.

Good

No comments: