Monday, November 7, 2011

Action Comics #3


Gene Ha is a fantastic, talented artist, but I just can't make myself care about yet another version of Krypton. Maybe it was a mistake to read Secret Origin and New Krypton so recently, but after all that stuff, none of Morrison's new ideas feel "real." In fact, I'm having that problem with the whole relaunch. I'm probably just showing my age, but I'm now more invested in the Brave & the Bold cartoon than I am in the DCU.

Grant Morrison still has a great eye for the dramatic. I love the raid on underground reporter Clark Kent's apartment; it makes sense that powerful men would have a problem with this Kansas kid stirring up so much trouble. And the land-lady development is a bit surprising too. It's neat seeing that when an underground hero like Superman starts challenging powerful men, they'd dedicate their non-physical weapons against him. How can Supes overcome the media and bought-off folks on the street? I'm not sure I buy that this could happen so fast, but it's still a neat idea.

Is this green-robot force a new Brainiac? That's the only thing that makes sense to me, but again, doesn't this feel a lot like New Krypton and Secret Origin? I did like seeing the new origin for Metallo, but I still prefer John Byrne's Terminator design.

Rags Morales' art seems a bit rushed this time, with faces a bit less defined than we normally see from him. Gene Ha's art is gorgeous, as I said.

I'll tell you what, canned interviews is not going to cut it for extra content. I refuse to pay $3.99 for 20 pages of story (with three or for splashes). Because of those prices, I'm going to be switching this to a digital purchase when DC has their 99cent sales online.

Fair

No comments: