Saturday, November 5, 2011

Guarding the Globe #6


Has it been four months already? Actually, I don't know how long its been since issue #5, but I do know I barely remember where that issue left off. It took me three or four pages to try and recall what was happening and who the bad guy on the first page was.

The pacing in this series is mighty weird. We spent a lot of time learning about characters that didn't have an impact in the climax this issue, and barely any time with folks who had pretty important parts. Le Bruiser is a joke, but if you are going to raze his hometown, maybe we should know a tad more about him? And Japandroid has a pretty great moment all to herself; it's a comic-book moment if there ever was one, and it is a great idea, but I don't feel like I know this little robot at all.

Even the more established guys like Bulletproof and Samson don't have much more than a line or two of dialogue. I also found it laughable that Brit took out the main villain by taking off his hat. I mean, I understand leaving some stuff for a sequel, but Robert Kirkman and Benito Cereno make some odd choices here.

Speaking of the first page, it sure looks like that much was completed by Ransom Getty, the detail-oriented artist who did such a nice job on the series so far. Kris Anka does an OK job filling in for the rest of the issue, but the pencils are a lot looser and more cartoony. I don't think Getty is the fastest guy around, but I wish we could have seen his version of this final conflict.

I still dug the chance to spend more time in the Invincible universe, but this series started better than it finished.

Fair

No comments: