Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Avengers: Solo #1


I may not be a big fan of the core Avengers titles these days, but luckily there are still some Avengers comics for old-school fans like me. Avengers Academy and this book are right up my alley.

Jen Van Meter writes Hawkeye in a bit more of a noir setting than I'm used to, but after his costume-less days dealing with normal folks, it's not so much of a stretch. Especially when Van Meter includes not one, not two, but three costumed villains to go after Hawkeye. Trace is new and Chance is classic, so the bases are covered right off the bat. The last surprise villain is not a typical Hawkeye foe, but I think their abilities should match up for a good throw-down.

Again, this is clearly a mystery that any hero could get thrown into, but Van Meter is doing a great job handling Hawkeye in this plot-based story.

Roger Robinson handles the art, and he's been a favorite of mine for years. The art is stunning, I just wish he could get more pages of Hawkeye in uniform!

The Avengers Academy back-up from Jim McCann and Clayton Henry is strong too, making this the rare worthwhile $3.99 purchase.

Good

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

I passed on this one but I may have to buy it now. What are the YA up to?

Timbotron said...

Since Jim McCann wrote it, the AA are checking into problems dealing with old Avengers issues. These are specifically addressing the guy who helped create Alkhema, Ultron's bride back in West Coast Avengers.