Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Justice League #3


At the end of the day, I'm just not down with the Ultimate DCU.

Look, I get it. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee have made the League 10x cooler and 100x more extreme than ever before. Wonder Woman is chopping dudes to shreds. Superman is taking pleasure in knocking parademons' heads off. Aquaman has mutton chops and an attitude.

But man, the parademons look too much like daemonites from mid-90s WildCATS comics. Those collars just aren't doing it for me. I don't like Hal Jordan calling "dibs" when he first spots Wonder Woman. This reads like a mighty attempt to make "not your Dad's Justice League, kids!" The problem is, I'm the Dad! I liked Superman as the no-kill leader of heroes. I liked Wally West growing into his role as the new Flash. I liked Kyle Rayner as a competent third-generation hero.

This comic has 22 pages of totally extreme goodness, not a bad ratio in today's environment. There are a ton of splash pages, but Jim Lee makes them look like awesome pin-ups or posters, so I can't complain about that.

The real problem is that I just haven't connected with the new DCU at all. So I think this is my last JL issue. Avengers is going on the sublist.

Average

No comments: