Saturday, January 15, 2011

G.I. Joe: Origins TPB vol 3

I think I'm losing interest in IDW's GI Joe franchise. A big part of the problem is the average or sub-average art on so many of their titles. Surely they can afford better?

I'm not usually a huge fan of J.T. Krul's writing, but he does a solid job giving Beach Head an interesting origin. I'm not sold on amnesia as a driving characteristic, but this might actually work. The art here is ok.

I'm afraid I couldn't care less about Baroness or her origin. Marc Andreyko and Ben Templesmith don't really do anything to change my mind. I'm still not a fan of Templesmith's art, I can barely tell what's going on.

I enjoyed Scott Beatty's take on Ripcord's induction to the Joe team, but I'm not sure why the character is skewing closer to the movie than the old toys and comics. The art here is ok too. Quite a few panels are pretty sketchy, though.

Snow Job's story is a weird one. I get putting a guy out of his element, but having Snow Job carry his skis and wax around Venezuela is just weird. The art is OK on the main characters, but the backgrounds are really lacking. This was more of a Special Missions type story than an origin, but that is fine with me.

I will say this, at least the Joes in this trade actually weird their uniforms, unlike the folks in the core title these days.

Average

No comments: