Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brightest Day #18


Maybe it's just me, but the more of the returned White Lantern folk that get their "Life Returned," the more I'm getting concerned about the Martian Manhunter. I'm really worried that the creators may decide that there are one or two examples needed of returnees who did NOT make the required deadline, and so they die again at the end of this maxi-series. I think Firestorm, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, and maybe Deadman are all still on the chopping block. Osiris too, maybe, I don't read Titans regularly enough to see what he's up to. Do I have my list right?

I'm not including Hawkman and Hawkwoman on this list because they get their lives back for keeps this issue. They wrap up their little fight with Hawkwoman's mother (can we just call her Predator now?). The Hawks definitely do some butt-kicking, but their animated former bodies do a bunch of the heavy lifting to take her out. I'm not sure why Deadman shows up and tells them they can't stay together, but I can't imagine that sticking. I love the idea that the White Lantern is powering up because of Deadman's kindness; it's a fantastic idea and a nice counterpoint to the darkness of the general DCU.

The art in this issue holds up pretty nicely. The Hawks and Deadman chapters have held up nicely through the entire run.

Fair

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Now from what I heard about the end of this issue, surely the Hawks are looking more like candidates for 're-death' than the likes of, well, everyone BUT the Hawks ... I consistently hear that the Katar and Shayera sections are the worst in the series.

Timbotron said...

They really are awful. It's funny, just being average instead of confusing and pointless is a step up for the Hawk sequences.