Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fantastic Five TPB

If loving the MC2 universe is wrong, I don't want to be right. I love Tom DeFalco's crazy take on the Marvel U. The best part is that he basically took Marvel as it existed when I was in high-school and real-time aged it. The Fantastic Four has expanded into Five. Lyja is a member of the team. The Thing married (and divorced) Sharon Ventura. Mr. Fantastic has been replaced by a robot and the Invisible Woman is missing. Best of all, Franklin Richards has grown up into a 90's style hero called Psi-Lord with a sweet mullet.

I need to go to the art a bit sooner than usual. Paul Ryan's designs looks straight out of the 90's too. The Thing's robotic parts are terribly dated, but fun. Lyja has a long ponytail like all extreme characters did back then. I love it. The coolest thing in this story was the Master's underlings, all tricked out to look like classic Marvel villains like Moonstone and the Trapster.

This story isn't going to win any awards, but it is fun and has the sense of adventure that comics from that era had for me. I can't remember who said that the golden age of sci-fi (and therefore comics) hits when you are twelve, but that's why this comic feels so natural for me. It is like a continuation of a bygone era.

Good

No comments: