Monday, April 5, 2010

She-Hulk: Sensational #1

That cover doesn't really scream "class," does it? I mean, I love Gary Frank, and She-Hulk looks hot, but she looks like a moron too. Not exactly empowering.

I really, really wanted to like this more. I'm a big fan of She-Hulk, even if her comics usually aren't as good as I think they should be. This anniversary issue is a mixed bag, since the Peter David-penned story was actually quite fun. Packed with fourth wall breaking commentary and amusing visual gags, I enjoyed it. I wish David had done more humor in his run a few months ago, that dour book was never any fun, even when he brought back the Man-Elephant. This amusing little look at She-Hulks past, present, and future should be a wake-up call of the potential the character has. At least let's get her on one of the new Avengers teams. She could be an instructor at the Avengers Academy at the least, right?

Brian Reed continues his average output with a missing issue from Ms. Marvel. She-Hulk comes off a moronic guest-star, and this is supposed to be her book. Tell me, when she gets the description (from a criminal) that "someone with force beams" is the boss of a bank heist, and Ms. Marvel is at that same spot, does that justify She-Hulk attacking a fellow Avenger from behind? This story sort of belittles every character involved. When She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and Ms. Marvel dress up like skanks to "sneak in" to a Hydra base hidden in a dance club, it shouldn't be a surprise that the story is disappointing, but wow. These are the type of stories that make me think that characters being in no comics might be better than being in bad ones.

The John Byrne reprint was amusing, as I rememberd. I need to dig out those back issues sometime.

The art was actually fairly solid in both stories. Jonboy Meyers loves beachball style chests on his ladies, but he handled the humor well and his storytelling was clear. Iban Coello's art was more inconsistent. Some panels looked like he languished over them, and they are detailed and crisp. Other panels look way more rushed, but overall his art was decent.

Average

No comments: