Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Green Lantern #53

Hal Jordan isn't interesting enough to hold my attention on his own, but by pairing him up with Star Sapphire/Carol Ferris and the rest of the New Guardians, I think Johns may have stumbled on to something. I've long said that having an army of rainbow corps is boring but that I like the idea of one main lantern for each emotion, and it looks like that may be what we're getting.

Hal and Carol are having a nice drink together before they start flirting while flying planes. They get interrupted by Sinestro who wants to bring them to the crashed White Lantern from Brightest Day, but it seems clear to me that the on and off relationship is leaning towards "on" again. Larfleeze is hanging around with Lex Luthor, wanting more and more of the experience of possessing things here on Earth. In true Superman movie fashion, it seems Lex is going to show the Orange Lantern the joys of possessing "Land!" I loved how Saint Walker is one by one putting the former Black Lanterns to rest. As the Flash re-buries all those zombies, Saint Walker says a little prayer for each of them. What a good guy, he's a really nice character. Atrocitus is up to something interesting as he, Guy Gardner, and GL Ganthet are clearly up to something. It looks to me like Atrocitus will be appearing in the new Warriors title by Peter Tomasi. Pretty cool.

There is also a bit with some weird alien with GL construct chains speaking with the imprisoned Hector Hammond. I have no idea who this guy is or even what all those corps symbols mean, although Parallax's presence chained to the yellow symbol makes me suspect it Spectre might be involved... very weird.

Doug Mahnke is awesome. His New Guardians all look great and I love his take on Carol Ferris. His Lex Luthor is a bit pudgier than I'm used to, but that's not a bad thing.

Good

No comments: