Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Modern Warfare 2: Ghost #2

I wish I understood what was happening. David Lapham delivers more of his specialties here with some great art for Ghost's background and a deeply textured history. Ghost actually starts to seem like a real dude here, and I love how his flashbacks are interwoven with his brainwashing in South America. I still have the greater problem that we are seeing a flashback within a flashback within a flashback. Factor in the dreamlike and confusing quality of Lapham's sequences and this is a damn challenging book. I'm fuzziest on the South American portion, I understand the pre-SAS stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing Ghost but loose and kick butt in the present.

Lapham's pencils look like they were lifted straight out of Young Liars. I never would have pegged Ghost as having ties to the London punk scene, but it adds a wonderful layer to the character. Kevin West's pencils are suitably realistic and gritty. It's too bad he's saddled with the most confusing part of the narrative.

Fair

No comments: