Thursday, December 17, 2009

Green Lantern Corps #43

I love it when a comic leaves a smile on my face. Peter Tomasi handled all this perfectly, and he has created one of the best tie-ins I've ever read. This run of GLC is going to go down as one of my favorite series ever.

SPOILERS!

In this day and age at DC comics, I could easily believe the company would be foolish enough to kill off a cool character like Kyle Rayner. That made me totally bite on the idea that Kyle was gone. I should have had more faith in Tomasi. Kyle's death is a wonderful plot element that allows a ton of great character moments. Guy Gardner's turn into a Red Lantern was brilliant; he's by far the coolest burbling red guy we've seen so far. His rage is directed and quite awesome to behold. Soranik Natu gets to do what she does best, save lives using everything she's got: skill, willpower, and love. The rest of the corps gets to step up for some awesome team work too. But all of those great elements pale in comparison to Kyle's eventual status. I had a huge grin on my face for awhile after reading this.

Patrick Gleason's work on this is brilliant. That panel of Guy Gardner about to vomit out the Red Lantern acid was wonderful. I think I'll be posting it on my blog shortly. Kyle's return was great too; can you feel patriotic about a made-up group of green space cops? Cause that panel almost did it.

Excellent

No comments: