Monday, December 21, 2009

Mighty Avengers #32

I still don't feel like this team is exactly right. The balance is off or something, I feel like the team is one member away from really feeling like the Avengers. Quicksilver helps, but I'm thinking one more... maybe Ms. Marvel or the real Scarlet Witch? Actually, I think the Wasp would be perfect. I did notice that some of Jocasta's robotic selves were based on Wasp costumes, but that doesn't really count. It's more creepy than cool.

This storyline starts off a showdown between Pym's Avengers and Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. The whole situation is set up by Loki, who is clearly steering Osborn for a fall. I'm not sure what his endgame is, but I love seeing Loki used as the central villain for the whole Avengers line. I still like how integrated Slott's book feels into the greater Marvel U. My only complaint is that he glosses over conflicts that would have gotten an issue or two in the old days. The Mighty Avengers supposedly took out Terminus, Dansen Macabre, and Zzzax this issue. I want to see more than 2/3 of a splash page dealing with all those cool Marvel B-listers!

We get "finished" Khoi Pham this month. After a few months off, Pham's pencils are tight and finished looking, a huge improvement over his last stuff. I'd gladly have he and Sean Chen trade off arcs to bring the quality of pencils up this much.

Fair

No comments: