Thursday, December 10, 2009

Batman: Private Casebook TPB

Paul Dini is having fun. The trade opens with a wonderful new baddie, the Globe. He makes all sorts of punny comments about hemispheres and such as he takes on Batman, and even though the danger never seems to threatening, I loved seeing Batman like this. Dini delivers a great conclusion to the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul storyline. Frankly, this would have been a much better closer than the one that appeared in the first story.

Dini continues building up the relationship between Zatanna and Bruce Wayne. I've never been a big Z fan, but she is really quite likeable here. She's too powerful for a bat-book and she upsets the balance of power in the story she's in. It's odd; Z is a poor match with Batman but a good one with Bruce Wayne. There's a great scene with Catwoman expressing some jealousy about the other women in Bruce's life too. I dug the new Ventriloquist, but I still miss Arnold Wesker. Scarface is one of my favorite baddies so I can't wait to see how he shows up next.

There is also a suit of sorrow story about Batman giving up the armor he wore during the Ra's storyline. It's a nice little piece dealing with long lost knights and secret societies, the type of material that works well with Batman.

Dustin Nguyen is a good storyteller. I'm not a huge fan of his work, but I can't really make any specific complaints. His faces tend to be a bit lumpy and people can look too similar, but overall he's fine.

Good

No comments: