Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ultimate Power TPB

This was actually a pretty enjoyable trade. The whole time I was reading this, in the back of my mind I was thinking how none of it really matters since the Ultimate U is being destroyed in Ultimatum. But since I haven't read that, I tried to go ahead and just read this story for what it was. It actually functions quite well as an inter-universe crossover.

There is no complex plot to be had here, but the trade delivers all the face-offs and rivalries that I hoped for. The Blur/Quicksilver fight was quite neat to see, and who wouldn't dig Thor vs. Hyperion? Of course, I would prefer to see more from the mainstream Marvel U heroes vs. the Squadron Supreme crew, but at least we get one of those two groups. Having the "classic" Squadron show up was a fun and unexpected bonus. I love that by having them get pulled into this story, we are basically tying the different Earths of Marvel even more closely. Each of the main writers (Bendis, JMS, and Loeb) play to their strengths here, and splitting them up like this kept me from getting tired of anyone in particular.

The regular stars are the major players once again, as Spider-Man, Thor, Fury, Mr. Fantastic, and Thing get the best lines from the Ultimate crew. I certainly didn't understand Power Princess' motivation in going to the Ultimate U, but having Fury stay in the Supreme Power universe is a cool idea. I did like that the two mega-villains Dr. Menace and Dr. Doom got to stir up all this trouble once again.

Everyone hates Greg Land, making him probably the most-despised artist on the internet. I don't hate his art. I can deal with each panel basically looking like a freeze-frame pin-up shot. I prefer more standard storytelling, but especially when dealing with characters I only kind-of like (like the Ultimate and Supreme characters), I'm fine with him using this style.

Good

No comments: