Friday, July 3, 2009

Dark Reign: Lethal Legion #1

Well, that was a lot more enjoyable than I expected. Frank Tieri is wildly inconsistent with me; sometimes I love his stuff, and other times I find it almost unreadable. This seems to be veering towards the former, because I'm liking the idea of a new Lethal Legion trying to go up against Norman Osborn. The lineup is the Grim Reaper, Nekra, Mr. Hyde, the Absorbing Man, Tiger Shark and shockingly... Wonder Man. As a Wondy fan, his inclusion in the story is what piqued my interest. I was surprised to hear that he seems to actually join up though! The story is told through the Lethal Legion's lawyer as he talks to the team members currently incarcerated on the Raft. The first issue features Tiger Shark, one of my old favorites (although I do miss his old look with that sweet fin). With only 3 issues to tell the story of the rise, fall, and betrayal of the Lethal Legion, I'm intrigued to see who Tieri will choose to narrate the upcoming issues. I hope Wonder Man is one of them and I'd love to hear more from a B-lister like Nekra, who I know little about.

Mateus Santolouco is yet another new Marvel artist, but I like his stuff. He's got an almost John Paul Leon or Tommy Lee Edwards style to him. The heavy inks and tired faces work really well in a jailhouse story like this. I'm not loving his take on Wonder Man yet, but we'll see how he looks in uniform.

Good

No comments: