Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Mutants #3

Zeb Wells is really doing some nice work on this series. I'm impressed at how he's already got the voices down for each of the characters involved, and starting out with a focused look at the core cast is a good move too. Cannonball is still the responsible team leader, taking everything on his shoulders, of course, Dani Moonstar was always a leader too, so that sets up some great conflicts this issue. When Cannonball decides to force Dani out of the fight, she's enraged. It's a great scene that had me seeing both characters' points of view, you can't really blame either one. Legion isn't the most interesting bad guy. His multiple personalities are often pretty generic and are not much more than sterotypes, but since each one has a different power set, it is fun seeing him mix up his powers to take out different characters. I was impressed at how quickly he took Sunspot out of the fight with just an elastic tongue. The whole idea that Legion is targeting his "fixers" seems like a bit of a stretch. Legion certainly has many people he could hold a grudge against, so making him pick out the New Mutants doesn't make a lot of sense. But at least he's a villain who has been off the scene for awhile and has variable enough powers to be a challenge. I did enjoy Wells' recurring scenes of Dani being rescued twice in big dramatic arrivals from her teammates. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite of the two since I like all 5 characters involved.

Diogenes Neves does a neat job on the pencils. His action scenes are nice and kinetic, but what impressed me the most was the way all his characters look different. Magma and Magik have totally different body shapes. Dani doesn't look like either of them, and her facial expressions as Cannonball leaves her behind were over the top, but very effective. Nice stuff!

Good

1 comment:

Artillery MKV said...

I'm looking forward to the TPB, I loved the New Mutants back in their first run. They were my only exception to the 'No X-Men' rule on my pull list.

The original NM run had the soap opera feel of the best Spider-Man books without rehashing the same stories over and over again.

I've heard good things about this run on the NM, but if it's just retelling the same stories I'll give it a miss.