Saturday, January 9, 2010

Best of 2000's #8: Seven Soldiers


#8: Seven Soldiers by Grant Morrison and various

Grant Morrison only has grand ideas, and his decision to tell a continuous story through a bunch of mini-series and two specials was nothing if not grand. While most people would point to All-Star Superman or We3 as Morrison's best of the decade, I have to go with Seven Soldiers based on a few of his most mad and wonderful ideas. The Manhattan Guardian's battle with subway pirates was the type of high concept that defines why I read comics. Frankenstein's gritty, bloody battles on Mars were classics that too many people have missed. Shining Knight's moody, gloomy confrontations with the criminal element gave us a brilliant interpretation of how the last of an old generation of heroes could fit in. Factor in Morrison's quirky and mischievious take on Klarion the Witch-Boy and this epic story has just tons of high spots. I didn't understand the Zatanna story, but I just look at that as proof that I'm not quite as mad as Morrison.

Frazier Irving's Klarion was beautiful and unlike anything else on the stands, changing my mind and making me really care, even though my initial interest was nil. Shining Knight by Simone Bianchi was beautiful and Bulleteer by Yanick Paquette was sexy, but the bar was set with the final series; Frankenstein. Doug Mahnke delivered mind-blowing graphics spattered with gore. It's become his specialty now, but this mini showed off what he could do.

Excellent

No comments: