Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Best of 2000's #4: B.P.R.D.


Best of 2000's #4. BPRD by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi & Guy Davis

Who needs Hellboy anyway? I was really torn when the big lug left the BPRD lineup, but that's because I never expected Mike Mignola and John Arcudi to weave such a spectacular tale with the guys they had left. Liz Sherman, always the heart of the team, is still the light guiding the crew as they navigate a wonderful world of yetis, robotic clones, and frog-monsters. I have absolutely no idea what is happening sometimes, but man, is it exciting. Consider the current team: a fish-man, a ghost in a plastic body, an accountant, and a historian. Factor in a retired soldier with supernatural scarring and Liz, and man, this book is great! As the scope has increased, Mignola and Arcudi have played up the war aspects of the title. We always saw a few soldiers mixed into the ranks and strolling around the Colorado BPRD HQ, but now entire battalions are getting seconded to the bureau as the threats they face get bigger and more destructive.

I'm also loving the flashback BRPD like 1946. With the main limiteds coming off as more an action-horror piece, these flashbacks retain the feel of true horror. I've only gotten frightened chills a few times while reading comics, but I definitely got one as the professor explored the abandoned insane asylum.

The series wouldn't work as well without Guy Davis' inspired, manic pencils. I've met the guy, and he loves his job. The creations are so inspired that I can't wait to immerse myself in a world of bloody-mouthed wendigos. I still say the odd, steampunk-inspired suits worn by the clones who created Abraham are one of the most fun designs I've ever seen. Simply brilliant.

Excellent

No comments: