Friday, August 7, 2009

Teen Titans #73

There are no "anchors" to this new Teen Titans lineup. Blue Beetle and Wonder Girl are essentially the core cast now, but I'm afraid they just don't provide the team with enough of a heart. I always believed that I like the 2nd and 3rd tier characters best, but I'm finding that with the Titans, at least, that level of character is not enough. In fact, the team seems rather incompetent, with Blue Beetle barely coming up with a plan to stop the "Fearsome Three" from escaping from prison.

There are some neat parts to the issue, like the Hammerhead shark man and the puns around taking him down, but for the most part, this is generic comics #101. It could be that with the new Fearsome Five showing up next issue, we'll get more straight-forward super-heroics next issue. I'm afraid I don't find it very exciting when the main conflict is a team against a force-field (and a relatively incompetent team at that). Setting the whole thing up with a flash-forward to yet another dead Titan just makes this silliar. There is no way this story is good enough to be made "important" with the death of a Titan.

Joe Bennett's art is a good fit for the title. His take on the team looks good, with Meltdown and Blue Beetle looking particularly good. I liked his new character designs too. Hammerhead guy and the two new members of the Fearsome Five all had nice looks and "fit" in the Teen Titans world. This actually gets a bump up from Poor due to the art.

As for the Ravager backup, wow. That is one slow burn.

Average

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

I found this comic confusing at times, the script and art - decent individually - didn't gel at times. I still don't know what Kid Eternity was doing in there. I think it's treading water until Impulse and Superboy arrive back.

As for Ravager, I enjoyed this more than the previous issue's instalment, but that's not saying much. Does anyone really care about Rose Wilson enough to want awhole strip about her? Shouldn't she be babysitting Lian?

The wandering Titan back-up brings memories of the hilarious Lilith strip frm the early Seventies.