Saturday, August 22, 2009

Red Circle: Inferno #1

JMS' story introducing the Red Circle characters is an interesting experiment, although I find the lack of an actual villain to be lowering my interest at bit. This issue focuses on the mysterious survivor of the cruise ship that sank in Hangman last week. It seems this mysterious survivor can't remember his name or any other history, but when he is threatened by a hitman, he switches bodies with another amnesiac self, only this one has fire powers. Inferno remembers just a tad more and races off to stop another bombing. Inferno's powers are fairly generic, although the normal clothes look does set him apart a bit.

The problem with the lead being a cipher is that there is not a lot to interest me in coming back for more. I'm not sure I care to find out more about either of Inferno's selves. I did like seeing Hangman again, he's a fun character and he gets to be a little more like a normal super-hero when he confronts Inferno. And the Web looks like he's going to be a lot of fun next week.

Greg Scott's artwork is dark and moody, actually reminiscent of Michael Lark or David Aja (that's a good thing). I'd like to see Scott get more regular work if he can bring this level of quality on an ongoing basis.

Fair

No comments: