Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Deadpool #1

I bought this one on a whim. I figured my infatuation with Deadpool was surely done (although Rick Remender’s take in Uncanny X-Force had me doubting even that.) Then my local store commented that they had only two copies left, and if I wanted to read it, I should grab one. So I did. To no one’s surprise, it’s funny and entertaining.

Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan pack this thing with more puns per square inch than even the JLI. Seriously, I know Deadpool is a joker, but man, this thing is just packed with puns, wordplay, and silliness. Even the core plot is a bit of a lark; a SHIELD agent trying to heal the country has resurrected all of the dead Presidents of the United States. The problem is, they are all super-powered and evil. After a ridiculous headline focusing on Cap taking down one president, SHIELD brings in Deadpool to do the dirty work.

It’s no surprise that Tony Moore kills it on art. He’s a gore-master, and Deadpool’s main power is getting blown to bits. I really enjoyed Deadpool’s debut bursting out of the guts of a gross monster. Moore’s SHIELD agents look a lot more realistic than the ones starring in all the other Marvel books these days. They look like office drones squeezed into blue sausage casings; it’s hard to take SHIELD too seriously with this look. I'm going to need to brush up on some of my presidents, though, I didn't recognize everyone at the close of the book.

I may have to stick around for awhile.

Line of the Issue: FDR to Deadpool: You have nothing to FEAR – Except me! Here’s a New Deal – DIE!

Good

No comments: