Monday, November 12, 2012

Adventure Time #1-6

My nephews turned me on to the genius that is Adventure Time, and I’ve been a huge fan ever since. Now, a huge part of the show’s success is the acting of the voice cast, and that’s missing in the comic. That said, Boom is doing a great job making this “feel” like the TV show. In fact, I’m digging this comic so much that I gave away free Adventure Time comics on Halloween. Those kids loved ‘em!

Anyway, the Adventure Time comic features an expansive creative team, with Ryan North handling the main story, but more indie creators brought in for the back-ups. The Lich is probably the worst of the TV shows’ villains, so it makes sense that he’s the big bad in the opening arc in the comic. The Lich is running around with a bag of holding that can suck up the whole Earth, and it is up to Finn, Jake, and the Desert Princess to come up with a way to defeat their undead foe. The other regulars like Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, and LSP are in the story too, but those other guys do the heavy lifting.

The second arc involves Princess Bubblegum’s penchant for mad science when she invents a time machine. The first part of that story is pretty whimsical, but things get more serious when Finn and Jake are sent into their future bodies. It’s pretty cool seeing the core cast as post-apocalyptic warriors (even BMO)!

The backups are consistently fun… and weird. I suppose it makes sense that indie creators would he a tad wonky. But anything that introduces toot fairies to Ooo is OK with me!

So I like it, but what about the kiddos? Well, my 7 and 5 year old children absolutely love this comic. I know because it is a constant request for bedtime reading.

Good

No comments: