Tuesday, November 20, 2012

All-New X-Men #1

OK. So Bendis’ X-Men is starting to make sense to me. Almost all the X-Men are staying at the Jean Grey School, sort of sticking to the world they know best. I might say that sitting around waiting to be attacked isn’t the best approach, but it is Xavier’s way. Meanwhile, Cyclops, Magneto, and Emma Frost are out in the world drafting new mutants into what sure seems like a new Brotherhood of Mutants.

Now clearly I’m supposed to be rooting for Hank McCoy, Storm, Kitty Pryde, and Iceman as they start to figure out how to handle Cyclops. The problem is that I’m firmly pro-Cyclops this time. Reading about mutants being demolished has prepared me to root for any hero not supporting the status quo. How the heck is anyone going to say no when the rebel leader of the mutant race tells you how special you are and that you have a place on his X-Men?

The original five mutants only show up on the last page, and I’m not sure how I feel about the time-traveling method. I assumed the team would be bounced into the future by chance, but no, modern Hank McCoy just jumps back in time to go get them. That seems awfully easy. Couldn’t they go back and save Jean from the Dark Phoenix? Why not save Angel from the Marauders? That would lighten up a bunch of folks. In any case, having the original mutant teens CHOOSE to come to the present keeps it from feeling dangerous.

It’s a slippery slope, but I’m hoping Bendis can maintain this balance and keep Cyclops looking at least somewhat heroic. We comic readers like an underdog! This whole concept only works if the original five X-Men are shocked and chagrined at the modern world, they can’t become comfy. This is Age of Apocalypse from the opposite perspective.

Stuart Immonen’s art is stunning. His Cyclops, Emma, and Magneto are imposing and inspiring. Again, I’d have little trouble following Cyke. I don’t care for spiky-Iceman, but I guess we’ll see the regular guy soon enough. I also appreciate that Immonen is still drawing the ape-beast, at least for now. I never cared for Lion Beast. I'm ready to see Immonen draw some of those original costumes next.

One complaint about this book is that it feels very slight. For $3.99, I’d like it to take a bit longer to read.

Fair

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

The price is bad, isn't it? And there'll be another issue along before we know it.

So, you're a potential Evil Mutant - I'm scared!

Nah, I see your point. If Cyke just dialled it down a tad, I might agree, but I really don't like him attacking ordinary humans who are just doing their job.