Saturday, September 24, 2011

Resurrection Man #1


As a fan of the original series, I'm quite pleased to see Mitch Shelley returning to the DCU. And for most of this issue, I really enjoyed the book. Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are masters of atmosphere and pacing, two essential elements for a book like this. Mitch is immediately likeable, he seems like a normal guy in a rough spot. While he does some shady things, he regrets and rationalizes his choices.

Things pick up on his flight. It seems Mitch's soul is quite the prize to both Heaven and Hell, and both "offices" have sent collectors out to try and acquire it. The battle sequence on the plane looked great. Fernando Dagnino is channeling some Tom Mandrake here, and it really works. The floating faces in the storm, the horrific angelic agent, they all look like they came from Mandrake's crazy imagination (and I mean that as a compliment).

What I didn't care for was the resolution. SPOILERS BELOW

Mitch basically drives off the creature, but gets tossed into the plane's engine, causing it to crash. I have one concern that constantly killing Mitch will make him seem incompetent, but DnA have balanced that in the old series, so it may not be an issue. But I also have a problem with the death toll. A plane full of people is a pretty huge amount of collateral damage. I hope that elements like this aren't required of the "Dark" line, because too much of that will sour me on the book.

I enjoyed the comic, but it sure felt like Mitch isn't very competent.

Fair

No comments: