Saturday, September 17, 2011

Knight & Squire TPB


The best comics transport you to fantastic world where things are mysterious, magical, and exciting. While you are reading about these places, you wish you could learn more about the strange cultures, sayings, and people who populate this wonderful place. In this comic, that fantastical world is England.

Paul Cornell is one of my favorite writers because his writing feels so foreign to me. I don’t get half the references he packs into his books, but I love the stuff I do understand. A naked heroine named Birthday Girl? Brilliant. Jarvis Poker, the harmless British Joker? Wonderful. Villains speaking asides to the crowd straight out of Shakespeare. Genius. This book is chock-full of ideas like the ones I just listed, and the best part is that even with Cornell’s helpful guidance in the text pages, I know there is more here to discover and enjoy.

Knight and Squire are wonderful on their own, of course. Grant Morrison’s revised origin and power set make them fun and modern, but they carry a weight of fake history well too. Watching the Knight date pop-stars while Squire “sneaks” around her hometown, it’s just wonderful seeing this different approach to super-heroics. Heroes like this really could have a pint at the pub with the villains!

Jimmy Broxton’s art changes moods as needed. At turns whimsical, threatening, and classic, the storytelling is always clear. I guess Cornell and Broxton created 130 new British heroes for this series, and while I like them all, I hope to see more of the Milkman. (“Don’t use the gold top!”)

Good

No comments: