Friday, April 8, 2011

Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker #1



Clearly Joe Casey is a fan of Smokey & the Bandit, American Flagg, and Jack Burton (from Big Trouble in Little China). Butcher Baker is an amalgam of these characters, with the obnoxiousness cranked up quite a bit. I picked up this issue hoping for something close to the excellent Godland, but this is a tad too out there for me.

I believe in all the underhanded politics and favors that keep things moving in Baker's world, but I'm not sure I want to see it in my comics. There are elements that seem pretty cool, but nothing in the first issue convinced me I had to see what happens next. The big cliffhanger is that a jerk is having a mid-life crisis, right?

Mike Huddleston's art is moody and atmospheric, and when it has to be, it is fun. I think he's a good fit for this kind of story, I just typically stick to more... "boring" comics I guess.

It's funny, I loved Joe Casey's afterwards more than the book! I'll try his next book for sure; WildCATS and Godland earned him that!

Average

No comments: