Thursday, October 21, 2010

X-Force v2: Old Ghosts TPB

I'm still way behind on my X-Force reading, but when I get around to it, I always enjoy this book. Craig Kyle and Chris Yost obviously grew up on the same comics as me, why else would they bring back some of the best X-villains from the grave?

This trade has X-Force tracking down the Vanisher as he attempts to steal a sample of the Legacy Virus. To further complicate things, the membership of the team is still in flux. Wolfesbane is still brainwashed, Elixir wants out, and Archangel is constantly sizing up his teammates to make sure they are the strong enough to deserve to live. That Apocalypse brain-washing is hard to get out, I guess!

Warpath wanders off on a subplot with important revelations. He and Ghost Rider go up against a Demon Bear, but this one is driving to madness by Eli Bard. I'm not clear on how Warpath got the entire Bard history, but clearly, this element of the plot with Selene is setting up the Necrosha storyline. I don't have a lot of interest in Bard yet, there just isn't enough to him, but Selene always makes a good foil, even if she is a vampire. Ghost Rider just sort of disappeared there too, didn't he?

The art is split between Mike Choi and Clayton Crain. Crain's art is the same as it was in volume one, murky and somewhat blurry; it's hard to tell what's happening in a lot of his scenes. Everything looks so computer-generated that I don't see much drama in his portions. He can create striking images, but overall, I prefer Choi's issues. Choi's hyper-detailed characters look awesome. The guys are handsome, the gals are hot (especially new team member Domino) and his action looks like freeze frames from a blu-ray. Really nice artwork.

Good

1 comment:

Dom said...

I enjoyed this trade, but I could have done without the Warpath story.