Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Booster Gold #37

I love that this is supposedly a tie-in to Generation Lost and Brightest Day, yet Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis have just had Booster screwing around since they took over. The Almost Book of Destiny is a Macguffin of the highest order, proving just how irrelevant the plot is to this comic. I'm not complaining, mind you, this is one book I read for the characters. I don't care that the foil this issue is the super-strong (and silly-named) Estrogina. I'm just happy that we have Booster, Beetle, and Skeets yukking it up and goofing around on every page.

Best of all, in a book about time travel, this issue actually has Booster "cheat" on how to deal with a tough situation. Beetle, in squirrel form, is swallowed whole by Estrogina. Booster is at a loss on how to save his friend, so he just jumps in time to ask Beetle how he got out of it. Not only does Beetle give Booster the answer, it is an answer that literally requires no action from Booster. The plot just keeps on trucking regardless of our two protagonists' actions, they are just there to make the situation more amusing. And I love it.

Chris Batista gets a lot of action to draw, and he deals with it pretty straight, Estrogina actually has a nice design, and while he does quickly reduce her costume to threads (almost at She-Hulk levels) she is still threatening. I like the Beetle/squirrel gag, but I would like to see Batista get to draw the regular Ted Kord suit a bit more. Is it too much to hope the book will continue in this team up format indefinitely?

Good

No comments: