Thursday, October 14, 2010

Secret Six #26

So Deadshot knew who Mockingbird was! Very nice. The high point of this issue doesn't have any fighting at all, instead it features Amanda Waller and Spy Smasher vying for the upper hand as they attempt to out-spy each other. There is great violence and fun one-lines in the Skataris-based part of this one, but for me, it doesn't get better than Amanda Waller doing her thing.

I'm still not loving the talkative King Shark, but I like the character so much I'm just glad he's being used. Gail Simone is still getting each character a remarkable amount of character work with just a few lines. I loved Catman's swim with a lake monster; even better was Deadshot's comment about CM didn't used to walk around shirtless so much when he was chubby. Great stuff.

I'm really worried about Bane, but Simone has earned the right to do what she wants with the character. He's an awesome enigma who gets at least one wow moment per storyline. I have a feeling Scandal will still try to do right by him, even after she slashed his throat.

Jim Calafiore is fine, but man, I miss Nicola Scott's expressive artwork. Calafiore gets the job done and the storytelling is clear, but I wonder if the emotional beats of this book would hit even harder with Scott's pencils.

Good

No comments: