Thursday, October 28, 2010

Green Lantern Corps #53

Tony Bedard's work on this title hasn't been as strong as some of his other titles, but things might be coming together. This issue has a lot of page time for Kyle Rayner, and that can only help my interest. Bedard borrows a bit from Geoff Johns' view of the character; Sinestro calls him "alley rat" and Kyle spends most of the issue in different forms of body armor. I did have to laugh at Soranik generating a big needle and flying around in space fighting in it. I mean, I know she's a doctor, but that's a bit cute, isn't it?

I always like new villains with ties to the past, so the Weaponer could end up being pretty interesting. He's the guy who built Sinestro's first yellow ring, and considering how powerful it was, he must be packing some power himself. His powers remind me of and old 90's character, Solo. Both guys could reconfigure or replace their weapons with gear more appropriate for their opponents. I think Dan Jurgens' JLA run had similar powered guy too. (Admittedly, the Weaponer's gear actually seems to morph to what he needs, rather than get replaced like those others.)

This is Tyler Kirkham's first issue on pencils, and he does fine. His work looks a lot like Marc Silvestri's. His aliens look fine and I like his design for the Weaponer, but the leads look a bit odd. Not bad, but somehow Kyle and Soranik look like Marvel characters.

Fair

No comments: