Sunday, October 10, 2010

Atomic Robo & the Shadow From Beyond Time TPB

I might be wearing down on Atomic Robo. I like the guy, but at heart he's Hellboy made of out metal, and Hellboy is so much tougher. Brian Cleavinger does a wonderful job with the idea of scientists as action heroes, and it is fun seeing Carl Sagan hauling around a lightning gun, but this whole trade felt just a tad gimmicky. Teaming up Robo with a bunch of famous folks to fight off a shadowy monster just doens't grab me.

My favorite parts of the trade involve Robo teaming up with some Tesladyne troopers. I can recognize the reason I loved that portion so much is that it reminded me of the BPRD. In the end, the most effective team-up Robo has is with himself, where he takes advantage of the inherent gifts of time travel. Warning your past self to research and invent a future problem is just about guaranteed to be good career advice.

Scott Wegener's pencils are fun, but he still does his best work on Robo and sci-fi equipment. His human faces are a bit uneven, but I wil admit the guy can draw destruction with the best of them. The opening 1920's chapter had some great old-school action and it also featured the coolest incarnation of the Shadow From Beyond Time. (Actually, maybe the 50's eye-blob was the coolest. Hard to decide.)

Fair

No comments: