Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Guarding the Globe #2

You had me at Octoboss. I resisted temptation, planning on getting this series in TPB format, but then I saw that Octoboss was on the cover of this issue and my resolve crumbled. I grabbed both issues of Guarding the Globe and, of course, I'm glad I did.

This issue introduces Boomerang, the newest member of the team, and he's hilarious. He is happy to join the team, but he makes an informed observation that the current Guardians team is a real "sausage party." It looks like Brit's sister is joining the team next month (along with Chupacabra?) so that should help, but even so, this team needs more ladies on board.

Brit is an amusing leader for the team, but I do miss Robot. His unique outlook and plans made the team a bit more unique than the punching (and now boot-jet wearing) Brit. The surprise hit of the book for me is Shapesmith. He's a Martian Manhunter copy, only goofy; what surprises me is how effective he is. He's actually pretty powerful and his abilities get a fair amount of varied usage in these pages. He's really a fun character.

And of course, Octoboss is here. Not only does he get plenty of chances to spout his great dialogue (thanks to Robert Kirkman and Benito Cereno), but he is actually joining the new villain team being formed in these pages. I've read every issue of Invincible, yet I only recognize a couple of these guys, but I'm still excited at such a classic-looking bunch of villains.

Ransom Getty is a cool dude, I've met him in Charlotte at Heroes Con a few times, and he's done some great sketches for me. I'm thrilled that he's working on an awesome book like this. This guy is headed for great things, so start being a fan now.

Good

No comments: