Friday, October 29, 2010

Avengers #6

Let's take a moment to enjoy that cover and get excited about a big fight between the two Avengers powerhouses. Thor vs. the Maestro! Or close enough! Yes!

Ok, so what happens in this comic.

The Avengers talk to Ultron.

The Future Avengers talk to Kang.

Kang's huge time-army shows up to fight Ultron! Here we go! Oh. Two pages, including one splash of Ultron blowing up.

The Avengers return to the present day to clean up. Killraven is now in the present day Marvel U.

Future Iron Man gives present Iron Man a ball.

Finally! Future Kang fights the Future Avengers. Oh, they kill him in two pages with a lightning bolt. The best part? I have no idea who even shot that bolt? Was it natural? Did Thor's daughter do it? Does it matter?

And we close the book with the Avengers having coffee.

Guys, I love the Avengers, they're my main team. But this is not what I want the Avengers to be like. I'm certainly not paying $3.99 for a book with this many unnecessary splash pages. Not to mention that once again, all the plot movers in this book are guest stars, the Avengers are almost bystanders in their own book. This is my last Avengers issue for awhile.

John Romita Jr. does ok with the art, I particularly love the bulky Ultron design. But he's not drawing enough smashing for me.

Average

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you've finally figured out that Bendis can't write the Avengers worth a turd. I figured it out a couple years age, and trust me, you'll feel alot better (and have more money) when you just avoid any Avengers/Bendis crap.

starfoxxx

Anonymous said...

BTW, for a real Avengers experience, check out the new cartoon.

Matt said...

I'm right there with you, but I would much rather pages of dialogue that actually felt like story progression, than those crazy huge splash pages he loves to have that just sit there.

JBaker said...

As the lone voice of dissent, I'm eagerly awaiting the return of the Illuminati and the Hood.

Timbotron said...

I think Bendis' best Avengers stuff has been with the Hood. That mix of a souped-up street level villain worked well for him.

This book never connected for me, and it never really felt like this Avengers team is that special. At this point, the Academy book might be the best Avengers title on the stands!

Unknown said...

I just read this, so I'm like a week late, but man oh man was this Bendis' Avengers at its worst.

I'm officially done. I can't take the way Bendis writes this book anymore. Every arc is the same. Big threat in the first issue that the Avengers can't handle. Then issues 2-5 are nothing but inane jibber jabbering where all of the characters sound exactly the same. Then in the sixth issue of the arc, someone not on the Avengers swoops in and fixes everything- usually in as anticlimactic a way possible.

The team is just too neutered. What's the point of their existence if they can so seldom actually fix any problems on their own? Where's the Stern-era (or even Busiek-era) team that no matter how high the odds got stacked against them would find a way to win?

PS It makes me sad that JRJR's art looks so horrendously bad in these issues. I love the guy. His pencils were the only redeeming quality of Hudlin's unbelievably bad Black Panther run. But wow, they just look awful here.

Timbotron said...

It sounds like most of us agree. I'm curious if the reason some of us old fogies are bummed out is because we have diffferent expectations for the Avengers. Stern and Busiek (even Harras) certainly had a more capable team dealing with their problems.