Saturday, October 30, 2010

Justice League of America #50

I'm amazed that James Robinson has me picking up a JLA book with a line-up that I have no interest in.

I used to be a Nightwing fan, but too much of what made Dick Grayson cool has been submerged in his Batman identity. Congorilla and Starman are obviously Robinson faves, but they haven't done enough to win me over yet. I like Jade ok, but I've never been a huge fan. Supergirl is confusing, I can't tell if she's supposed to be a nice girl, controlled by Krypton, or what (obviously, I don't read her series). Jesse Quick is ok, but there isn't much personality there yet. That leaves Donna Troy as the only character I like, and that's mainly because of how Robinson is writing her. Robinson's Donna is a warrior, one keen to punch faces and kick butt, even if she doesn't know what's going on. In this issue, she starts making some observations about team dynamics, but she eventually settles on the idea that nothing much has changed as long as she's still punching bad guys in the face. That's my kind of hero. That said, this isn't a strong team yet.

This new arc brings the Crime Syndicate of Amerika back to the book as they chase the Tangent Green Lantern to Earth-1. Robinson leaves it vague on just how destroyed Tangent is, and I hope it is still around. There is no reason to destroy one of the alternate Earths just to establish how tough Alex Luthor's post-dead revenge plans are. In any case, the Syndicate is trying to decide if they are going to try and save their Earth, or if they will just settle on Earth-1. There's some confusing dialogue about different versions of Power Ring and Johnny Quick, but I was totally lost by all of that.

Robinson finally reveals what Doctor Impossible and his New Genesis-copy crew are after, they are resurrecting Omega, some new baddy. They do this by combining the essences of folks from multiple Earths, including Blue Jay. (Hmm, Blue Jay on this JLA team might be the missing puzzle, he'd be a fun addition!)

Mark Bagley was drawn to draw team books, and I love his JLA. Everyone looks so bright, shiny, and "comic-y," including the bad guys. I love the designs on those fake New Gods, I hope we see more of them.

Fair

No comments: