Sunday, August 15, 2010

Trinity v2 TPB

I'm kind of shocked. I'm more of a fan of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (and 5th, etc.) level of DC heroes. I often lose interest in the big three. But here we are in volume two of the Trinity series, and the whole story is about the missing stars of DC. The big three are nowhere to be found, but without them, the story is wandering.

Those closest to the stars are wandering around in a bronze age world of purple aliens. It seems the Trinity ended up there somehow and taught these weirdos their values. It's nice knowing that they did their thing even in this weird place, but it's weird reading a whole series where the exciting stuff already happened. The stars of the book just sit around listening to stories!

Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza do a better job with the straight up super-heroics. I'm not really interested in seeing the DCU characters representing different Tarot cards, but I do like seeing dead characters like Tomorrow Woman and Triumph. The alternate world is fun because so many of the relationships are shaken up. (I'm betting Space Ranger is Martian Manhunter).

Mark Bagley and the crew on the backups are all pretty good. I sort of wish they were all drawing less hairy purple aliens though.

Average

No comments: